Worm bins are a simple, but effective composting system that uses worms (typically “red wigglers” called, Eisenia Foetida) to break down food waste products and other organic material and turn it into a valuable soil amendment called vermicompost.
Through a consumption and excretion process, the worms create vermicast or highly nutrient-rich soil which can be directly mixed in with potting soil and/or used as a top dressing for indoor and/or outdoor plants. You can also make “compost tea” by simply adding compost to your watering can or rain barrel, then allowing the mixture to steep for a day before watering your plants and/or garden.
Benefits of Worm Bins
- Breaks down waste
- Creates nutrient-rich soil
- Provides organic fertilizers
- Promotes healthy crops and foods for people to consume
- Reduces carbon footprint
- Creates business opportunities
- Savings in having to drive or pay for waste drop offs / pick ups
- Savings in soil and fertilizer purchases